GREECE

Top Boutique Hotels in Athens, Greece

By on 03/02/2018

Athens may not have a reputation as one of the most photogenic cities in Europe, but you have to know where to look. Dare to get lost in the alleyways of areas like Plaka, Anafiotika and Psyri and you will find some true gems unique to the Greek capital. And of course, you also have the incredible amounts of history wherever you look. Whether you are only passing on your way to the islands, or exploring the city in depth, it deserves more attention than it gets. So here is a list of the best boutique hotels in Athens to help you plan your next trip to this intriguing city – as recommended by expert travel bloggers.

Coco-Mat Athens Hotel

By Teresa from Brogan Abroad

Located in the upmarket area of Kolonaki, Coco-Mat Athens is an understated yet super stylish designer hotel. To access it, you walk through a furniture store with the most beautiful home deco and furnishings – all part of the Coco-Mat Experience, where you get to enjoy the furniture from the shop in your own room. But it’s not just about the look – there is a 12-option pillow menu and the hotel prides itself with having the comfiest mattresses, which I can vouch for. It was so hard to leave the bed in the mornings!

Boulevard Suite at Coco-Mat Athens Boutique Hotel

Boulevard Suite

I stayed in one of the Boulevard Suites, which is furnished in industrial-chic style. The room has a Nespresso machine and a well stocked mini bar. It’s also worth mentioning the room service menu, which is made up of international dishes that represent the different nationalities that tend to stay in the hotel. With all this, the ultra comfortable sofa and the spacious room, you really don’t need to leave at all.

But do leave! Even if it’s just to go to the roof terrace on the 7th floor, to enjoy the incredible views over the city. With Lycabethus Hill really close on one side, and the Acropolis and the Aegean Sea in the distance on the other, it’s a fantastic spot to relax and soak up the sunset.

Check Availability for Coco-Mat Athens Hotel

The Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel

By Teresa from Brogan Abroad

Possibly the finest view in the whole of Athens. The Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel is located in the district of Plaka, right opposite the Metropolitan Cathedral. This means that it has an open view to Mitropoleos Square and the Acropolis.

The hotel is set within a neoclassical townhouse, the former home of Ernst Ziller – the famous architect who designed royal and municipal buildings across the country such as the National Theatre of Greece and the Ermoupolis City Hall in Syros.

The service at The Zillers is impeccable and very personal. The staff makes you feel like you are part of the family. They welcome you with a refreshing welcome drink and they give you a full tour of this beautifully restored hotel.

Room at The Zillers Boutique Hotel, Athens

Bright and airy room

My room was beautifully styled, with a minibar, a Nespresso machine, a kettle, bathrobes, organic Greek toiletries, and a cleverly distributed bathroom. And best of all, a killer view over the Acropolis, which you can enjoy from the comfort of your bed, or from the beautiful balcony.

But the wow factor is when you get to the roof top restaurant. The view is mind blowing. You will feel so close to the Parthenon that you will feel like you can almost touch it. But it’s not just about the view. Breakfast, which you have to order in advance, is delicious and plentiful. And don’t forget to try the trendy restaurant in the evening. It’s the place to be seen in Athens!

Check Availability for The Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel

See other reviews on Booking.com, where they have a score of 9.8 out 10.

Are you a fan of Greek food?
Here are some traditional Greek dishes that you must try in Greece

Athens Was Hotel

By Kat von B from Traveling Greek

If you are looking for a sleek and stylish environment with personalized services, then this Design Hotel will fit the bill.

Greeks have a saying that is very fitting here: “quality perfume comes in small bottles” and the same can be applied to small size boutique hotels, in particular the dapper Athens Was Hotel located in the heart of the ancient Athenian centre, a stone’s throw away from the Acropolis Museum.

Athens Was Boutique Hotel Lobby

The Lobby

This stunning hotel has created an alluringly fascinating ambiance for guests to linger in. The hotel is dedicated to lavishing its guests with the personalized services amidst an environment of haute design, blending the boundaries between luxury and laissez faire hospitality…after all, it runs in the Greek genes! This boutique experience will satisfy the most discerning traveller with sweeping views of both Lycabettus Hill and the Acropolis from the rooftop restaurant. Every room is designed for the modern traveller with a veranda and every imaginable amenity needed.

Check Availability for Athens Was Hotel

Book Your Athens Tours Here

Herodion Hotel

By Anna from Would Be Traveller

My vote for the best boutique hotel in Athens has to go to Herodion Hotel – a beautifully designed hotel with 86 rooms just steps from the Acropolis.

The rooms have absolutely everything you need for a few nights in the city: a comfy bed, super clean bathroom and even a writing desk for you to plan your day. Breakfast is included in the room rate, so each morning you can chow down on a buffet of pastries, yoghurts and a selection of hot food. The food is simple and tasty, and exactly what you need to fill you up before a full day sightseeing in the Greek capital.

Herodion Boutique Hotel Athens view from the jacuzzi

One of the hot tubs

The best thing about this hotel, and the main reason we chose it, is its location. Less than 5 minutes’ walk from the Acropolis museum, you can get there before the crowds and then head up the Acropolis itself before most other tourists have even left their hotel. Some lucky guests can see the Acropolis from their windows, but everyone gets a free pass from the hotel’s rooftop bar, restaurant and twin hot tubs.

It was up on the rooftop that we welcomed in 2017, watching the fireworks on New Year’s Eve as the clocks struck midnight! What a way (and hotel!) to spend a wonderful weekend in Athens.

Check Availability for Herodion Hotel

Semiramis Hotel

By James from Worldwide Shopping Guide

The Semiramis Hotel in Athens was one of the first boutique hotels that I stayed in. Up until that point, and for a long time afterwards, my accommodation was almost always a hostel or a budget hotel room.

Situated in the leafy, northern suburbs of Athens, the Semiramis is a vibrant and eclectic hotel that features vibrant pink and lime green as its two main colours. Stylish and comfortable, it’s best suited to young couples on a romantic break. Everything from the bar to the swimming pool is designed in a fun and funky manner – even the room key, which features a symbol instead of a room number (fun after you visit the hotel’s bar).

Semiramis Boutique Hotel Athens Penthouse

A Penthouse room with a view

The hotel’s neighbourhood, Kifissia, is as upmarket as the hotel and there were plenty of great cocktail bars and trendy restaurants nearby. Central Athens is 30 minutes by train, which is probably its biggest downside; however, it does give you a chance to explore more authentic parts of Athens that most other tourists will miss.

Check Availability for Semiramis Hotel

Book Your Day Trips from Athens Here

Hotel Cosmopolit

By Rachel from East to West

For a great option for a boutique hotel in Athens, Greece, I highly suggest Hotel Cosmopolit. While a lot of tourists like to stay in Syntagma Square, I chose to stay in the smaller Omonia Square due to its more local and less crowded nature. It is only a 5 minute walk from Syntagma so it is still in an amazing area for visitors.

Hotel Cosmopolit is the cutest little hotel on the square and it was perfect for a stay in Athens. It is extremely clean, the rooms are a big size for a small hotel, and the daily breakfast included in the hotel rate (big bonus) had a massive selection. The staff was beyond nice and helped us get around the city since we didn’t know any Greek. They spoke perfect English and everyone was helpful.

I would highly recommend Hotel Cosmopolit and the price is great for budget travellers who are looking for an adorable boutique hotel in a great area of Athens.

Hotel Cosmopolit Lobby, Athens

The Hotel Cosmopolit Lobby

Check Availability for Cosmopolit Hotel

Any other boutique hotels in Athens that you would add to this list?
Let me know in the comments!

Like this post? Pin and save it for later

Disclosure: A big thank you to Coco-Mat Athens Hotel and The Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel, who hosted me for a couple of nights. As always, all views are my own. This post also contains affiliate links, that earn me a small commission but come at no extra cost to you. Thanks as always for your support!

TAGS
RELATED POSTS
44 Comments
  1. Reply

Portia Jones

03/02/2018

I haven’t been to Athens in about 10 years, I really want to go back and explore as I can’t really remember it! I love the idea of staying in a cute boutique hotel whilst i’m there and I really like the sound of Zillers Athens Boutique Hote. Will definitely look into it. xx

03/02/2018

You’ll love The Zillers. Fantastic room and an even better view! And Athens’ instagramable area of Anafiotika. Never ending photo opportunities!

2. Reply

Rosie Kerrigan

04/02/2018

All of these absolutely stunning!! I think my favorite is Herodion, though, I would LOVE to stay there for a weekend <3

04/02/2018

I know right? The hot tubs overlooking the Acropolis are a winner! 😊

3. Reply

Joanna

04/02/2018

Athens might not be the most romantic city in the world, but these hotels surely are! I can only imagine how beautiful must it be to wake up and see the Parthenon from the window of your hotel!

04/02/2018

Thanks Joanna! It was a real treat! I even debated whether to have breakfast in bed but I couldn’t resist going up to the rooftop terrace instead 🙂

4. Reply

Christine

04/02/2018

All of these boutique hotels look amazing!!! When I visited Greece, I didn’t stay in Athens, but I really regret it now! I want to go back!

04/02/2018

It’s a very good reason to go back and try at least one of these hotels! ☺️

5. Reply

Sam

05/02/2018

the Herodion Hotel looks stunning – I’ve never thought about visiting Athens Greece, usually I’m looking at places in Santorini, but I would totally stay at that hotel if I visit.

06/02/2018

Thanks Sam! A lot of people skip Athens on their way to the islands, but it’s definitely worth staying for a day or two, especially on a boutique hotel like these ones 🙂

6. Reply

Niamh

05/02/2018

Great post. All of these hotels look beautiful and I love how they are all so different from each other.

06/02/2018

Thanks Niamh! They are very different and they offer very different things, all of them fab! 🙂

7. Reply

Marvi

05/02/2018

Wow.. I love your recommendations! The interior are pretty unique and very homey, not the usual interior you’d expect from hotels.. 🙂 The Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel’s room is pretty comfy. I love the open balcony and that view from the rooftop is relaxing.. The open windows and white interior of the Semiramis Hotel is pretty cool too. I love how airy and the design is!

06/02/2018

Thanks Marvi! I’m so glad you enjoyed them! You’ve absolutely nailed it! 🙂

8. Reply

Ryan

05/02/2018

I really love everything about Greece!!! the culture and the people are some of the best around!!! we have been visiting Corfu for over 20 years since my dad used to take me as a kid and now I still try and go every year!!! Athens is next on my tick list of places to visit in Greece

06/02/2018

I love Greece too! Not only is it beautiful but as you say, the culture, the people… and the food! Athens is definitely worth a visit! Try and make it part of your next trip if you can 🙂

9. Reply

Nathan

06/02/2018

I’m not the kind to splurge on accommodation as I would rather spend the cash on seeing new things, trying new cuisines and having new experiences. Nevertheless, these hotels look great and comfortable to rejuvenate one every single night! 🙂

06/02/2018

I know what you mean Nathan, but a lot of the time boutique hotels like these are not as expensive as they look. Plus they really add to the experience of a city 🙂

10. Reply

Constance

07/02/2018

Wow these hotels look so luxurious! We usually stay at Airbnbs because they tend to be cheaper, but after reading this post we might actually consider staying at some of these places since they’re so beautiful. That view of the Acropolis is amazing, we could totally just wake up in the morning and walk up there!

11/02/2018

Thanks Constance. It’s definitely worth treating yourself from time to time to an amazing hotel like these 🙂

11. Reply

08/02/2018

I absolutely adore Athens so this was an amazing post for me! My top pick is the Coco Mat; that room is stunning, plus I’d love to head to the terrace at sunset. I bet it’s spectacular!

11/02/2018

Thanks! I’m really glad you enjoyed the post. I absolutely loved Coco-Mat! And that sunset was just fabulous! 🙂

12. Reply

Sherrie Fabrizi Allbritten

10/02/2018

I have to agree the Herodion Hotel looks amazing! I will be bookmarking this article for our next trip to Athens, what an amazing city it is, we can’t wait to return!

11/02/2018

Thanks Sherrie. I love Athens too. And it’s even better when you stay in one of these hotels 🙂

13. Reply

Megan

10/02/2018

Wow! Such incredible hotels!! The Herodion hotel looks especially unique!

11/02/2018

Thanks Megan. Glad you liked the post. It’s that hot tub isn’t it? 😊

14. Reply

neha

11/02/2018

Each one of these hotels look beautiful. They are airy and specious. And full of the greek charm. I am bookmarking this post. Since I am planning to travel to Greece soon. And when I do, instead of hunting through several sites for the right kind of accommodation, I will finalize one from the list here.

14/02/2018

Thanks Neha! I’m so glad to hear that this post will come in handy for your trip to Athens! Have a fabulous time!

15. Reply

Bruce Schinkel

11/02/2018

I love learning about boutique hotels, and would love to stay at any of these in Athens! I especially love the views at The Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel .. .so incredible 🙂

14/02/2018

Me too! Love that every boutique hotel has its own character. And yes, the Zillers view is pretty special! 😊

16. Reply

Ami Bhat

12/02/2018

That is a lovely list of hotels. Among these Zillers Athens Boutique Hotel definitely appeals to me for the views. However, I might just settle for Herodion Hotel for its compact rooms but with the right luxury. Hoping to get to Greece to try these out.

14/02/2018

Thanks Ami. I hope you get to experience one of these hotels. They’re fantastic and you’ll feel so spoiled 😊

17. Reply

Medha Verma

14/02/2018

I love staying in Boutique Hotels, although sometimes you need to shell out some extra bucks for it. I remember looking up boutique hotels before our trip to Athens but I did not find one to my liking and fitting the budget. Wish I had come across a helpful list like this one then!

18/02/2018

Thanks Medha. Shame you couldn’t find something that fitted at the time. Sometimes Boutique hotels are not as expensive as people think but it’s a question of finding the right one for the right dates.

18. Reply

Becca Talbot

14/02/2018

I love the look of some of these places – I could really picture myself staying there. And I’d like to visit Athens at some point, so will bookmark this article for future x

18/02/2018

Thanks Becca. I’m glad you enjoyed the post and that it may come useful at some point 🙂

19. Reply

Shreya Saha

15/02/2018

Really appreciate your blog. I love to stay in boutique hotels. And the list you have sorted here is really beautiful. Athens is a beautiful place and I am going to keep this bookmarked as it would just help me listing down the hotel choices when I visit Athens, which is soon.

18/02/2018

Thanks Shreya. I’m really glad to hear that you like the hotels included in this list. Enjoy Athens when you go! 🙂

20. Reply

Lana

15/02/2018

All these boutique hotels are fantastic, it would be so difficult to choose which one to stay at. We love staying in boutique hotels. Must say, I’m drawn to the Herodion Hotel – it’s the view from the hot tub which does it for me! Although the breakfast with a view at The Zillers does have a wow factor too!

18/02/2018

Thanks Lana! It’s so hard to choose when you have such great views, isn’t it? 🙂

21. Reply

Esther

16/02/2018

Great guide! I am going to Athens in March and can’t wait. By then I will be ‘rather pregnant’ so a hotel with a walkin shower is a must (no climbing in bath tubs for me!) and boutique hotels are to be trusted with that. Thanks you for these suggestions!

18/02/2018

Thanks Esther! I’m glad you enjoyed the guide. I hope you find the right hotel for you and congratulations! 🙂

22. Reply

Clemens

14/03/2018

This comes just right for a trip to Greece this summer. Thanks!

18/03/2018

Fantastic! I’m so glad this is helpful. Enjoy Greece!