Ha Giang Heaven's Gate Vietnam
VIETNAM

15 Photos to Inspire You to Travel to Vietnam

By on 24/04/2017

Whichever part of the country you choose, North or South, Vietnam has so much to offer. A very rich culture with strong influences from its neighbouring countries, ancient and modern history we all need to learn about, some of the best food in the planet, and some of the most awe-inspiring natural landscapes I have ever set my eyes on.

I spent one month travelling through Vietnam, and I could have easily spent another month or even longer. Vietnam has so much to offer that I left a lot of things I would like to come back to explore some day. And to give you some inspiration and show you why I think you will love visiting this captivating country, I have put together some photos from my trip. I had real trouble picking only 15. This post almost ended up being a never-ending photo album of places you will want to see and experience yourself.

Sunrise on the Mekong Delta

So I woke up to this on my first day on the Mekong Delta. I stayed at Minh Viet Homestay in Cân Thó and as soon as I stepped out of my room I was greeted by this view. What I way to start the day!

Mekong Delta Vietnam

Sunrise on the Mekong Delta

Ho Chi Minh City’s Chinatown (Cholon)

Cholon used to be one of the biggest Chinatowns in the world. Even though it is not immediately obvious that you are in Chinatown, if you look around you will see that it is dotted with Chinese-style buildings and temples.

Then Hau Temple Ho Chi Minh City HCMC Vietnam

Incense burners in Thien Hau Temple

The Charming Ancient City of Hoi An

Hoi An is one of the most popular destinations in Vietnam. With its well-preserved old town covered in lanterns, you feel like you’ve been transported back in time. It’s cute, it’s quaint and it comes alive when the lanterns are switched on at night.

Hoi An Temple Vietnam

The best way to explore Hoi An is by bike

Hoi An Lanterns Vietnam

Hoi An lanterns wherever you look

The Hai Van Pass

Made famous by the Top Gear TV programme, the Hai Van Pass is a mountainous stretch of road with incredible views over the South China Sea. Hai Van Pass means the Pass of Ocean Mist. You couldn’t get any more mystical than that!

Hai Van Pass Vietnam

Looking South from the Hai Van Pass

Fishing villages near Hue

I made the journey between Hoi An and Hue on the back of a bike with Hue Easy Rider Tours. Just before arriving to our destination, we took a detour to one of the fishing villages nearby just in time to see the fishermen landing their catch.

Hue Fishing Village Vietnam

Fishermen returning with their daily catch just outside Hue

The Caves of Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park

Phong-Nha-Ke Bang has Asia’s oldest karstic mountains which are riddled by enormous cave systems. The most popular with visitors are Phong Nha Cave, Dark Cave and Paradise Cave.

Paradise Cave Phong Nha Vietnam

One of the chambers within the colossal Paradise Cave

The Streets of Hanoi

Chaotic, noisy and at times overwhelming, Hanoi has a charm that few Asian capitals have. It feels exotic with a touch of French influence – they call it the Paris of the East – and the street food and bia hoi (beer brewed in the last 24 hours) is not to be missed.

Ta Hien Street Hanoi Vietnam

Ta Hiên Street is where people congregate in the evenings

Hanoi Train Street Vietnam

The train goes through Train Street twice a day and residents have to clear everything out of the way!

Halong Bay

What can I say about Halong Bay that hasn’t already been said? It is such a breathtaking sight that there are no words that could describe it, so I’ll let this photo speak for itself.

Halong Bay Vietnam

The view from my cabin first thing in the morning

The Mountains of Sapa

You come to Sapa to trek and to meet people from the local ethnic Hmong group. I joined Mama Chi and her daughter Cu, who led me and my friends on a trek through the mountains to her homestay. The greenest mountains I have ever seen!

Sapa Vietnam Rice Terraces Paddies

The mountains of Sapa, carved with rice paddies

Hmong Girl Sapa Vietnam

In Sapa you will find some of the friendliest faces in Vietnam

Remote Ha Giang

Ha Giang is the northernmost province in Vietnam and has some of the most dramatic landscapes I have seen. It changes at every twist of the road from rice paddies to karstic plateaus, from conical mountains to bamboo-lined river valleys. A spectacular and not a very well trodden part of the country…. Yet!

Ma Pi Leng Pass Ha Giang Vietnam

Morning mist over the mountains at Ma Pi Leng Pass

Ha Giant North Pole Vietnam

The view from the North Pole of Vietnam, the northernmost point in the country from which you can see China

Sapa Vietnam travel

Pin me!

TAGS
34 Comments
  1. Reply

Kim

24/04/2017

Wonderful post, Teresa. Vietnam is one of my favourite places to visit. It ticks all the boxes and like yourself, I would find it impossible to narrow it down to a top 15 highlights! You’ve done a great job though. Lots of incredible choices on that list 🙂

24/04/2017

Thank you Kim! I absolutely fell in love with Vietnam too. It has so much to offer! I don’t normally go back to a country twice but I think Vietnam will break that ‘rule’. It was a really fun post to write and put together. It brought so many memories! Really glad you enjoyed it 🙂

2. Reply

Sabrina

24/04/2017

What a wonderfully inspiring whistle stop tour through Vietnam. Beautifully done

25/04/2017

Thank you Sabrina! I’m really glad you enjoyed it. I just wish I didn’t have to limit the amount of photos. I could have added so many more! 🙂

3. Reply

Travis

25/04/2017

Love your post!

Looking at going to Vietnam and Cambodia in June/July. We want a nice relaxing beach area to finish the trip on (a few days in the sun). Would you recommend Hoi An’s neighbouring beaches for this, or is there somewhere else you would suggest?

29/04/2017

Thank you Travis. Hidden Beach in Hoi An is fabulous and it’s only a short bicycle ride from the town centre. You can also check Cham Islands across the water which I didn’t get to visit but I only heard good things about. I hope that helps 🙂

4. Reply

Mirre

25/04/2017

Wow theresa, your pictures are really beautiful!
    x your new friend in London 😉

Thank you so much Mirre! So glad you like them! See you in a bit 🙂 x

5. Reply

Kareemah

29/04/2017

Wonderful post! I have added Vietnam on my bucket list :). I especially loved the Mountain mist. Probably because I’m a sucker for mountain views lol

29/04/2017

Thank you Kareemah! Really happy you liked it. That shot of the mountains was taken in one of the most spectacular places I have ever visited 🙂

6. Reply

Rebecca

29/04/2017

Vietnam has always been a dream of mine! These photos are amazing! It looks beautiful! Great post!

29/04/2017

Thank you so much Rebecca! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I highly recommend Vietnam so do put it on your bucket list for sure! It’s one of my favourite countries! 🙂

7. Reply

Trisa Taro

29/04/2017

Was just in Vietnam and absolutely loved it, especially Hoi An!! These pictures make me wish I was back there already.

29/04/2017

Thanks Trisa! I loved Hoi An too! It’s a really special place and it seems to have it all… tons of history and character, a gorgeous beach and incredible food! 🙂

8. Reply

Tasha

29/04/2017

Stunning photos! Id love to visit Vietnam one day and your list has increased my interest. The morning mist over the mountains looks like something out of a story book, it must have been mesmerising to see.

29/04/2017

Thanks Tasha! Yes! Put Vietnam on your list for sure! You won’t regret it. I would certainly love to go back to explore all those areas I couldn’t cover 🙂

9. Reply

Colby

29/04/2017

I looove Vietnam! It’s hands down one of my favorite places, Hoi An specifically. There’s so much culture and charm, and the rice paddies, and the friendly people, and the AMAZING food, and and and….

I could go on forever. I love your photos! You truly capture the essence of Vietnam.

29/04/2017

Oh I know what you mean! Hoi An offers endless things to do and enjoy! Thank you so much. I’m so glad you liked my photos and the post! 😀

10. Reply

Sara

29/04/2017

I am moving to Vietnam in August and this just made me so excited for it! So much beauty in the country!

30/04/2017

Oh you’re so lucky! Vietnam is possibly the most beautiful country I’ve ever been to. And the food! The best in the world! Enjoy!

11. Reply

C-ludik

29/04/2017

Lovely photos & wonderful post ! Vietnam is on my bucket list for such a long time 🙂 . I especially love the sunrise on the Mekong Delta, the Mountain mist & the Train street.

30/04/2017

Thank you! It is such a photogenic country! It’s really hard to take a bad photo there 🙂

12. Reply

Jean

30/04/2017

Oh these photos are wonderful! They show such a stunning side of Vietnam.

30/04/2017

Thank you Jean! I’m so happy you like them. Vietnam is just stunning! Wherever you look… have you been? 🙂

13. Reply

Arnav

14/05/2017

Travel inspiration at its best

16/05/2017

Thank you so much for your comment Arnav! Glad you enjoyed my post 🙂

14. Reply

Stuart Forster

31/07/2017

Photos really can inspire travel. You have put together a set I enjoyed viewing.

10/08/2017

Thank you so much Stuart. I’m really glad that you enjoyed them 🙂

15. Reply

Aarti

09/08/2017

It’s very beautiful and honestly your post was inspiring, made me to think about Vietnam .

10/08/2017

Ah thank you Aarti. I’m really happy that it inspired you 🙂

16. Reply

Sophie

07/09/2017

I live in Vietnam I love this country and the people, your photos are stunning thank you for sharing

07/09/2017

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I love Vietnam and I’m really glad that came through on my photography. It’s a very special country and I wish I’d had more time there, but I know I will come back 🙂

17. Reply

Andrew Nguyen

05/12/2017

I’m a bit sad because you left out the town where I grew up called Dalat. You should pay Dalat a visit when you head back to Vietnam.

07/12/2017

Hi Andrew. I actually visited Dalat and absolutely loved it! But I didn’t get great weather so I couldn’t take and great photos, that’s why I didn’t include it in this post 😔